Constable Information Session
Before applying to the OPP, we ask that you take the time to attend a Constable Information Session. In these sessions, OPP Recruiters share what it takes to become your competitive best for a career in policing. Due to COVID-19, these events are currently being offered virtually, but we look forward to welcoming you again in-person when it is safe to do so. For a list of upcoming events, visit opp.ca/careers (bottom of page). You can also watch a condensed version of the Constable Information Session on YouTube.
- Ensure you are eligible to apply by meeting all of the minimum requirements (prerequisites) as outlined under Uniform Recruitment.
- Pre-screening of application and file number assignment.
- Uniform Recruitment has developed a new screening tool in order to assess safety and success in training. Applicants who are successful in the pre-screening phase will be invited to participate in a physical assessment, consisting of the Leger 20m Shuttle Run.
- Applicants who are successful are invited to a Pre-Background Questionnaire (PBQ) Assessment. (PBQ sessions are being held in certain areas that are affected by a high number of applications. These sessions are not applicable for northern Ontario and out of province applicants.)
- Competitive Applicants are invited to a Local Focus Interview (LFI).
Pass a background investigation including:
- Psychological assessment
- Medical assessment
- Security inquiries
- Financial inquiries
- Employment, character and school reference checks
- Home interview
- Continuous file assessment
- Offer of employment or file closure
- Recruits must demonstrate the ability to achieve a score of 75 per cent on their Fitness PIN while at Provincial Police Academy (PPA) before they continue onto Ontario Police College (OPC).
Experienced Police Officers
Officers currently serving or having served within the past two years with another police agency in Canada may apply directly to the OPP through the Experienced Police Officer program.
Frequently Asked Questions
Answers to numerous questions about the OPP hiring process can be found under Frequently Asked Questions.