Wesdome Gold Mines has had over 30 years of continuous gold mining operations in Canada. The Company is 100% Canadian focused with a pipeline of projects in various stages of development. The Company’s strategy is to build Canada’s next intermediate gold producer, producing 200,000+ ounces from two mines in Ontario and Quebec. The Eagle River Complex in Wawa, Ontario is currently producing gold the Eagle River Underground Mine. Wesdome started production at the Kiena Complex in Val d’Or, Quebec in December 2022. The Company trades on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol “WDO”.
The Chief Mine Engineer will be responsible and accountable for Mine Engineering staff and managing all mine functions to maximize the operation’s performance in a safe manner. This role will oversee, coordinate and address engineering activities including annual budgets, reserves, planning, surface and underground infrastructure, mine ventilation, geotechnical issues, reconciliation and hourly bonus. The incumbent will also be responsible for developing, optimizing and implementing the approved mine plan to achieve annual tonnage and ounce objectives in a safe and economic manner.
RESPONSIBILITIES/JOB DUTIES PERFORMED
• Monitor compliance and ensure adherence to applicable engineering codes, regulations, safety and environmental practices, performance standards and specifications.
• Provide technical leadership and operational expertise to the engineering and operations team.
• Establish, execute, and effectively monitor short-term (weekly and 3M) and long-term (reserves and life of mine) plans that supports corporate growth strategies.
• Participate in weekly planning meetings, with key personnel, to coordinate activities to meet goals.
• In consultation with the mine team, plan alternative optimized methods of ore extraction, stope access and mining sequence, detailing the costs, benefits, and issues with each making recommendations to the team.
• Oversee and signoff on month-end engineering reports and hourly bonus calculations.
• Develop the annual mine site budget and quarterly forecasts, with support from geology and mine personnel.
• Contribute to strategic long term mine planning sessions.
• Coordinate mine engineering work with that of geology, ground control, ventilation, and mine operations.
• Troubleshoot problems that arise; analyze and recommend solutions so that mining will proceed according to plan.
• In consultation with the mine team, develop alternative methods of ore extraction; this will include assessing stope access, mining sequence, detailed costs, benefits, and issues with each approach and making recommendations to the team.
• Assist with underground mining studies, including project cost estimations.
• Contribute to the development of policies and procedures in engineering
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• A Bachelor of Science in Mining Engineering from a recognized institution.
• Professional Engineer in the Province of Ontario and in good standing order with PEO or eligible for registration.
• A minimum of 10 years of mine engineering experience including 4 years in a senior role.
• Be technically competent and have a good understanding of key mining business drivers.
• Strong Deswik design and scheduling skills would be an asset.
• Location: Eagle River Complex – North of Wawa, Ontario
• Meals and accommodations are provided while on shift at Eagle River
• Work schedule to be discussed
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position.
However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Wesdome prides itself on being an equal opportunity employer committed to responsible mining practices and building a diverse and inclusive workforce. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or Aboriginal status. Disability-related accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (the “Act”), Wesdome is committed to hosting and maintaining an accessible environment.